We’re always looking to work together as we know that innovation is fostered through sharing both knowledge and experience. One example of a sustainable collaboration is EcoFuels in the Netherlands.
EcoFuels innovative food and beverage (F&B) digester
Ten years ago in Well (Limburg), Laarakker Groenteverwerking together with Indaver Netherlands designed and built the EcoFuels F&B digestion facility. Since then EcoFuels has been producing high-quality products from leftovers from the food and beverage industry (F&B) with a low dry matter content, and from agricultural residual flows.
EcoFuels was the first large-scale digester to generate green electricity from biogas. Indaver and Laarakker used the knowledge gained with EcoFuels to expand the FDT digestion facility in 2011. EcoFuels also produces green natural gas and liquid CO2.
Better Biomass Certificate
In 2015 EcoFuels was awarded the NTA 8080 certificate, also known as the Better Biomass certificate. This certificate guarantees that EcoFuels has opted for the most sustainable method of treatment. For VGF waste this is a combination of digestion and composting. For the acceptance and treatment of residual flows from agriculture and leftovers from the food industry, customisation is a requirement. For each residual flow presented, EcoFuels works towards the most sustainable processing route. This also means that EcoFuels will not take a residual flow if it can be used more sustainably elsewhere.
The facility was completely renovated in 2011 and produces on a yearly basis:
- 2.3 million Nm3 of green natural gas annually, enough for 1600 households to be able to cook, shower and heat their houses for a whole year. This gas is added to the natural gas network,
- 19.5 million kWh of greed electricity, sufficient for the annual consumption of 6 500 households plus its own use,
- A large amount of valuable heath is released when biogas is converted into electricity (2.8 MW(th) at a temperature of 105°C). Part of this heat is re-used by EcoFuels in the digesting process, the rest is made available for other business processes at this location,
- liquid CO₂ that EcoFuels – first of its kind – produces from biomass, meets the highest standards of purity. It has applications in the greenhouse horticulture industry, the cleaning industry and in the production of dry ice for refrigerating foods, for example and
- EcoFuels purifies wastewater to the extent that it can be re-used in the production process. The solid matter that is left over after the sludge treatment is used as a soil improver in agriculture and horticulture.